How Can I Be A Local Director?
Local directors serve a very important role in the Mississippi Miss Hospitality program. If you would like to bring scholarship opportunities to young women in your community, please contact the State Office for additional information on hosting a local competition for your area.
Download Local Director Commitment Form
A minimum of three judges is recommended for the local competition. Selection of the judges is the sole responsibility of the local director or sponsoring organization.
Judging is based on the following criteria: the person selected must be intelligent, articulate, photogenic, aggressive without being forward or self-centered, dignified and attractive; have a friendly spirit that is natural and spontaneous; be in good health; be gracious and sincere; and possess a general knowledge of state tourist attractions, history, and economy. Special talents are not required, but accomplishments in public speaking and communication are of primary importance.
Local directors should ensure that the costs incidental to presenting the local competition are provided. Neither contestants nor their families should bear these expenses:
- Costs related to hosting the local competition.
- Remittance of the $300 state entry fee, payable to Mississippi Miss Hospitality Competition, which includes the following:
- Room and board for state competition week (housing, meals, transportation, and special events).
- Professional headshot photographs to be used for judging and publicity of Statewide program.
- Sash and crown for local Miss Hospitality winners will be provided to local directors for contestants to wear during reign.
Local directors are encouraged to seek community business participation to assist with costs needed to send the local representative to the State Competition. Local Miss Hospitality winners often support businesses in exchange for a sponsorship. Below are examples of these sponsorships:
- Entry Fee – Local businesses may want to provide the $300 entry fee.
- Wardrobe – A local clothing store may want to donate an outfit or evening gown for the local contestant to wear during competition week.
Deadlines for Local Directors
- March 13, 2020 – Local Miss Hospitality winners must be selected by this date. Local directors are to notify State Competition Officials with the name, address, and phone number of the local Miss Hospitality within one week of selection or by March 13, 2020. Contestants will not receive information regarding the State Competition until their names have been received by State Competition Officials.
- May 15, 2020 – Deadline for all materials and Official Competition Packet to be received by the State Office. THIS DEADLINE WILL BE ENFORCED. A $50 late fee will be charged to the contestant if all materials are not received by the deadline.